Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christian helps?

   Praise the LORD!!!
    Christian helps? Christian helps ministry? What exactly do these two mean? To start out we as Christian are told to "love our neighbors as we love ourselves" and "that the world will know us by our works." As Christians we are called to show the love of CHRIST to others by show them our for them, to them. How can we show a person we love them? In the same way that we show love for ourselves, by the way we take care of them. Do we place them before ourselves and aid them in their lives struggles and we would pray that others would reach out to us? Do we take the time to lend a listening ear when they've something burdening their soul? Do we give to them as we'd wish someone would give to us when we are down and out? Boy, that sure is a lot of questions isn't it?
   Vine of CHRIST Ministries is trying to fulfill all of these questions in every second of the ministry's existence. During the '05' hurricane season, I had one family that was displaced by hurricane Katrina living with us, when Rita began to bear down on us (we lived at the time in Iowa, LA.) As the storm began to draw nearer to the coast, I decided to ship my friends and these people off to the north, to stay behind and ride out the storm with my dog. You see, we had a seven person van and there was five of us, plus my 100 lb. dog, and the two of them and their cat. With all the needed supplies and people, all of us going would not of worked out, so off they all went and I battened down the hatches on the little farm shanty that we were renting.
   To say the least it was a very, very exciting ride! 165 to 185 mile per hour winds, torrential rain and so many tornadoes that they couldn't be counted. After nearly 24 hours of being housebound I was finally able to go outside. A once over on the shanty and off I went to survey the damage to my neighbors homes and the local infrastructure. I commandeered my neighbors riding lawnmower and off I went (I knew this would be fine, because I used it to mow theirs and our yards all the time.) There was no one else around within a half mile of the house. A good amount of structural damage to a number of the houses and a lot of tree damage. All the power was out in the area, but we were blessed to have a working city water system still functioning.
   There wasn't much that could be done at the moment, so I returned to work on weatherizing our place. It was missing several metal roof panels and half of the shingles on the back side of the hose. I covered these the best I could with plastic and moved as much of the personal belongs out of harms way. At this I began to formulate a plan as to all the supplies available to me and how to ration them in the best  possible manor. No one else was in the area at this time, but I began to reckon how to help anyone else that would show up.
   It wasn't until the third day that neighbors began to return to their homes and this was because there were police barricades on the major roads into the area. I had marked the house with spray paint before the storm, so officials would know how many had stayed behind. It wasn't until this third day that I saw any of the local police or emergency workers, but I was managing fine. As neighbors began to show up, I'd stop in and check on them, telling them that I was available when they needed any help and at all. Things began to progress quickly, trees that had fallen were cut up and moved. Debris was piled up out of the way and anything that was displaced was either returned to its location or put where it could be found.
   Shortly people began to venture out towards Lake Charles, working to find needed supplies of whatever kind they could. One day we had 580 lbs. of some fine Cajun smoked sausage given to us, because it had been in a local store's fridges which had lost power, so it couldn't be sold. I was riding around still on the mower giving out trash bags full of this stuff, it didn't need refrigeration, so it could be cooked or eaten anyway you could think of. The people in this area pulled together and though the damage was widespread they worked together to help out each other until the job was done and everyone's lives return something close to normal.
   In this most of those questions were answered. Christian helps and a helps ministry gets out there and does whatever it takes to help people in their time of need. It doesn't matter if its a major storm  like these, or just an everyday problem. Its Christians reaching out to others to show that the care about them and love them as CHRIST loves us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment